Thursday, October 04, 2007

WHAT'S SHAKIN'

Kip started his new job on Tuesday and likes it so far; the main drawback appears to be the commute. It's about 20 miles from our house, which isn't bad for this area, but it's through the most backed-up rush-hour spots (the 494 strip and Highway 100, for those of you who know the area). He's trying out different routes to see if anything is more expeditious.

As for me, most of my company is in Las Vegas this week for our annual expo. Those of us who stayed behind get to wear jeans to work all week, and today we had lunch catered by Famous Dave's. I'm posting so I won't go to sleep, having just dined on rib tips, green beans, potato salad, etc., bzzzzz ...

MY BRILLIANT SON

He's been put in "enrichment" groups for both math and reading. What this means is that he's reading and, um, mathing at a higher level than many other first-graders. I'll take credit for the reading ability; math, not so much. That would be Kip's doing. As a former newspaper co-worker of mine used to say, "If we could do math, we'd all have real jobs."

He also informed me the other day that he has a girlfriend. (Andrew, not Kip.) Her name is Anna and she is in one of the other first grades. This came as a surprise, because up until a week ago, he was insisting that he hates girls and will never marry. Peanuts are nothing if not capricious.

WHAT WE DID LAST WEEKEND

On Friday Kip and I went to the Renaissance Festival for the last time (it closed last weekend). It was a perfectly gorgeous day and we were unencumbered by child, so we had a lovely time. Then we rushed home, changed into 21st century clothes, scooped up Andrew and went to Kip's stepsister's wedding down in Albert Lea, MN. (This is the one who misspelled hors d'oeuvres twice on her wedding invitation.) I was expecting a tacky occasion, but it was surprisingly nice. I did object to the fact that the groom, the ushers and the groomsmen wore tuxes *without ties* -- there wasn't one tie to be found among the wedding party. And I also didn't care for their solution to the receiving line: They made every guest stay in their pews until the bride and groom had greeted *every single person* -- no one could leave until they'd been officially greeted.

The reception was mostly nice. The misspelled hors d'oeuvres were plentiful and pretty tasty; there was no wedding cake, but instead an assortment of cupcakes (German chocolate, because that was the groom's favorite, and "funfetti," the bride's preference). And there was a deejay instead of a band, which I always consider a wise decision. There were indeed some tacky elements, including the whole garter ceremony, which not only involved the groom burrowing around under the bride's dress with his entire head, seeking to remove the garter with his teeth, but before that, the bride's father sitting in a chair in front of her while all the guests put up financial bids to move the garter higher up her leg (Tom, the bride's father, was there so he could pay to move the garter *lower*). I found this all just pretty stupid and rather embarrassing for all concerned.

There was also a dollar dance, a custom to which I have become reconciled. I danced with the groom and Kip with the bride; Andrew chose to dance with the groom (because this was back in the day when he hated girls). He particularly enjoyed it, because Justin picked him up and swung him around and around the dance floor by his arms. He also enjoyed dancing to the rest of the songs played by the deejay, and gamely attempted to learn the electric slide.

Out of completely misplaced curiosity, I checked Megan's and Justin's Target gift registry this week to see if anyone had bought any of the pet treats and movies for them as wedding gifts. Not a one.

WHAT I'M WATCHING

I love, love, love "Back to You," and in last week's episode, when the reporter got tasered, I laughed so hard that the couch cushions were in peril. Last night we watched "Pushing Daisies," and really enjoyed it. Oh, and the new season of "Boston Legal," featuring my not-so-secret celebrity boyfriend, James Spader. And "Desperate Housewives." And "Dancing with the Stars." And "Kitchen Nightmares," because Kip and I like the curmudgeonly and profane Gordon Ramsay.

MY NEW FAVORITE WEB SITE

Apostrophe Abuse.

It is lovely to know that there are people besides me who recognize and chafe over misplaced apostrophes.

WHAT I'M READING

"Four Seasons in Rome" by Anthony Doerr, recommended by the learned and charming Kathy Baxter. "In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead" by James Lee Burke, who went to college with my mother, and whose books I've never read (but I'm interested to see that there is a movie version of "Electric Mist" currently filming, with Tommy Lee Jones as Dave Robicheaux). "Past Secrets" by Cathy Kelly. And "Hartsburg, USA" by David Mizner.

WHAT WE'RE DOING THIS WEEKEND

Picking apples at a local orchard. We were going to do it last weekend but got rained out. The local Honeycrisps should be ready.

WHAT I NEED TO BE DOING RIGHT NOW

Getting back to work. Not that there's anyone here to check up on me. I'm just saying.

Free Counter